Ivermectin is a medication that has gained a lot of attention recently due to its potential use in treating COVID-19. However, it has been used for decades to treat a variety of other conditions, including parasitic infections in both animals and humans. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at what ivermectin is and what it is used for.
1. What is Ivermectin?
Ivermectin is a medication that belongs to a class of drugs known as anthelmintics. These drugs are used to treat parasitic infections. Ivermectin is derived from a bacterium called Streptomyces avermitilis, which is found in soil. It was first discovered in 1975 and was later developed for use in both animals and humans.
2. History of Ivermectin
Ivermectin was first approved for use in animals in the 1980s. It was initially used to treat parasitic infections in livestock, such as cattle, sheep, and horses. Later, it was also used to treat parasitic infections in pets, such as dogs and cats.
In the 1990s, ivermectin was approved for use in humans. It was primarily used to treat river blindness, a parasitic infection that can cause blindness if left untreated. Since then, it has also been used to treat other parasitic infections in humans.
3. How does Ivermectin work?
Ivermectin works by binding to specific proteins in the parasites’ nervous systems and muscles, causing paralysis and death. It is effective against a wide range of parasites, including roundworms, threadworms, and mites.
4. What is Ivermectin used for in animals?
Ivermectin is commonly used to treat parasitic infections in livestock, such as cattle, sheep, and horses. It is also used to treat parasitic infections in pets, such as dogs and cats. Some of the parasitic infections that ivermectin is used to treat in animals include:
- Heartworm disease
5. What is Ivermectin used for in humans?
5.1 River Blindness
Ivermectin is primarily used to treat river blindness, also known as onchocerciasis. This parasitic infection is caused by a worm that is transmitted by the bite of a blackfly. It can cause severe itching, skin lesions, and blindness if left untreated. Ivermectin is highly effective at killing the worms and preventing further transmission of the disease.
Ivermectin is also used to treat scabies, a parasitic infection that is caused by mites. It can cause intense itching and
5.3 Head Lice
Ivermectin can also be used to treat head lice, which are tiny insects that live on the scalp and feed on blood. They can cause intense itching and discomfort, and are highly contagious. Ivermectin is effective at killing the lice and their eggs, and is often used when other treatments have failed.
Ivermectin is also used to treat strongyloidiasis, a parasitic infection that is caused by a type of roundworm. It can cause a variety of symptoms, including abdominal pain, diarrhea, and weight loss. Ivermectin is highly effective at killing the worms and relieving symptoms.
6. Ivermectin for COVID-19
Since the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic, there has been a lot of interest in the potential use of ivermectin for treating the virus. Early studies have shown promising results, but there have also been criticisms and controversies surrounding the use of the drug.
6.1 Early studies
Several early studies have suggested that ivermectin may be effective at treating COVID-19. For example, a study published in the journal Antiviral Research in June 2020 found that ivermectin was able to inhibit the replication of the virus in laboratory tests. Another study published in the International Journal of Infectious Diseases in August 2020 found that ivermectin was associated with a lower mortality rate among hospitalized COVID-19 patients.
6.2 Criticisms and controversies
Despite these early studies, there have also been criticisms and controversies surrounding the use of ivermectin for COVID-19. Some critics have pointed out that the studies were small and of low quality, and that more research is needed to determine whether the drug is effective. Others have expressed concern that the drug could be harmful if used inappropriately, or that it could lead to the development of drug-resistant parasites.
7. How is Ivermectin administered?
Ivermectin can be administered in several ways, depending on the condition being treated. For example, it can be taken orally in the form of a tablet or capsule, or it can be applied topically in the form of a cream or lotion. The dosage and duration of treatment will depend on the specific condition being treated and the patient’s individual needs.
8. Safety and side effects of Ivermectin
Ivermectin is generally considered safe when used as directed. However, like all medications, it can cause side effects in some people. Common side effects of ivermectin include:
- Muscle pain
- Skin rash
In rare cases, ivermectin can also cause more serious side effects, such as seizures or liver damage. It is important to talk to a healthcare provider before taking ivermectin, especially if you have any underlying health conditions or are taking other medications.
ivermectin 12 mg is a medication that has been used for decades to treat a variety of parasitic infections in both animals and humans. It is highly effective and generally considered safe when used as directed. While there is some early evidence to suggest that ivermectin may be effective at treating COVID-19, more research is needed to determine its safety and efficacy for this use.
- Is ivermectin safe for pregnant women?
- Ivermectin should only be used during pregnancy if the benefits outweigh the risks. It is important to consult with a healthcare provider before taking ivermectin if you are pregnant.
- Can ivermectin be used to prevent COVID-19?
- While there have been some studies suggesting that ivermectin may be effective at preventing COVID-19, more research is needed to confirm its efficacy and safety for this use.
- Can Ivermectin be used to treat other viral infections?
- While there have been some studies suggesting that ivermectin may be effective at treating other viral infections, such as dengue fever and Zika virus, more research is needed to confirm its efficacy and safety for these uses.
- Is ivermectin available over-the-counter?
- In most countries, ivermectin is only available with a prescription from a healthcare provider. It is important to talk to a healthcare provider before taking ivermectin.
- How does ivermectin work to treat parasitic infections?
- Ivermectin works by paralyzing and killing parasites, including worms, lice, and mites. It does this by binding to certain proteins in the parasite’s nervous system, which interferes with their ability to function properly.
Read More – Health