A image of Landlord Electrical Safety Certificate

Landlord Electrical Safety Certificate, Renting a house involves more than finding a tenant and giving over the keys. You must give tenants several important pieces of information. Energy Performance Certificate (EPC): Your property needs a current EPC. An EPC rates a property’s energy efficiency from A (most efficient) to G (least efficient) so potential renters can evaluate its financial running expenses, Landlord Electrical Safety Certificate.

EPC inspections require an accredited assessor. Private landlords in England and Wales must have an EPC rating of at least E to rent their buildings. Read our blog on how to increase energy efficiency.

New and prospective tenants should receive the EPC certificate. EPCs last 10 years.

Safety Certificate:

Since June 1, 2020, landlords must assess and test their rented houses’ electrical systems every five years. Wiring, plug sockets, lighting, fuse box, electric showers, and extractors are inspected. A licensed electrician must inspect. You must give tenants the report before they move in or within 28 days of the inspection.

The report must be remedied within 28 days. The electrician shall give written certification of corrective work completion to landlords and tenants within 28 days.

Cookers, fridges, and TVs are exempt from the requirements. Nonetheless, landlords should PAT any electrical appliances they give.

Read our landlord electrical safety guide and visit the gov.uk Landlord Electrical Safety Certificate for more information on the new electrical safety standards.

Gas Safety Certificate: Annually inspect your gas appliances and flues. Gas Safe-registered engineers perform the checks. You can now do checks 10–12 months after the previous check while preserving the expiration date. If checks are done outside of this time, the deadline will be 12 months from the latest check.

You must give your tenants a copy of the safety check within 28 days. Incoming tenants should receive this. If you took use of the flexible time frame, you must keep copies of the record for at least two years and any checks until two further checks are done.

Legionella Risk Assessment:

Legionnaires disease is pneumonia caused by waterborne Legionella bacteria. Legionella bacteria are found in household water systems and storage tanks with water between 20°C and 45°C.

Assess Legionella risk to tenants as a landlord. A basic examination may reveal no dangers and no additional action.

If: There is daily water usage, which is inevitable if your property is occupied.

Mains-fed cold water (not stored water tanks)

Instantaneous heaters like combi boilers or electric showers or low-volume water heaters that store water above 50°C supply hot water.

If you conduct the risk assessment yourself, generate or download a template to fill out and give to your tenants. Hire a legionella risk assessment company.

Fire Safety Risk Assessment: Landlords must install a smoke alarm on every floor and a carbon monoxide alarm in any room with a solid fuel burning appliance such an open fire or wood-burning stove.

The landlord must check the alarms before each tenancy. To protect yourself and your tenant, keep proof of these checks.

HMO fire safety is stricter. The Regulatory Reform Order 2005 requires the responsible person for multi-occupied residential buildings to conduct a fire risk assessment in communal spaces to ensure fire safety for residents. Landlords or multi-occupied buildings can do this fire risk assessment themselves or employ a third-party.

Deposit Insurance:

You must place your tenant’s deposit in a tenancy deposit protection (TDP) scheme within 30 days of receiving it and provide the following “Prescribed Information”:

Deposit amount

Property address

The deposit’s tenant deposit scheme’s name, address, and contact information.

The landlord, tenant, and any deposit contributors’ names, addresses, and phone numbers.

Get a Prescribed Information form from your supplier or tenant deposit protection scheme.

England and Wales residents can use any of the following schemes:

Deposit Insurance


Deposit Scheme

Landlords should give tenants the government’s How to rent: a checklist for renting in England. Your tenant can print or email the guide. Get a receipt.

This guide explains landlord and tenant rights and duties. It details and checks all aspects of renting a residence, including:

Pre-rental checklist


Tenancy termination: what happens?

Managing problems

Exceeding Expectations:

Make sure your property is safe for tenants before and throughout tenancies. You are responsible for safety in locations without testing certificates. Install and test smoke alarms. To protect yourself and your tenant, keep proof of checks. You should do the minimum legal checks and testing. High safety requirements protect your tenant and property. Landlord obligations on gov.uk.

Learn More:

Whether you are new to letting or seeking to switch rental agents in Central London, such as Marylebone, Regents Park, St. Johns Wood, and Maida Vale,

Call now. We’ll explain your landlord paperwork and certificate duties.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *